A SHORT INTRODUCTION ABOUT DANDRUFF
Dandruff can be defined as a condition of scalp in which white flakes of skin appear on scalp. Dandruff is a common scalp disorder that is directly linked to the seborrhea. It is considered that a yeast known as “Malassezia furfur” might be the cause of seborrhea. Dandruff mostly appears on scalp, ears, face, mid chest, mid back.
Human skin cells are always renewing themselves.The new cells are produced at a faster rate than they die in people with the problem of dandruff. It results in making dandruff more prominent. Basically dandruff is a fungal infection.
There are many causes of dandruff. People who are sensitive to yeast are at a high risk of having dandruff. In winter, cold air is also a cause of dandruff. People who do not comb their hair regularly are also at a highest risk of having dandruff. Psoriasis, eczema and some other conditions may also cause dandruff. The flakes of white skin begin to accumulate on the hair due to lack of shampooing. People with the deficiency of zinc and vitamins B are more prone to dandruff. Stress may also contribute in developing dandruff and some other skin problems. Prolonged exposure to sunlight, hairdryers can dry out scalp and cause dandruff.
Dandruff can be easily diagnosed. White flakes of dandruff can be easily seen on hair and shoulders. It may cause skin to become itchy and tight.
Before the treatment of dandruff, two factors are considered such as age and severity of dandruff. Many shampoos and OTC (over-the-counter, no prescription needed) medicines are available at many stores and pharmacies for the treatment of dandruff. Remember these shampoos can control dandruff but it cannot be treated completely.
The best anti-dandruff shampoo is that which helps to control and prevent dandruff. There are many anti-dandruff shampoos that are really effective. These shampoos are made up of different ingredients that do not harmhair and skin.
The worst shampoos for dandruff:
1-TRESemme Color Thrive BRUNETTE Shampoo
Reason: This shampoo lacks cleaning power. It makes scalp itchy. Due to lack of cleaning power it may render to wash your hair twice a day.
2- John Frieda Radiant Red Color Captivating Shampoo
Reason: This shampoo turns soft and silky hair to rough and tangled. You may lose natural shine of hair.
3- Head and shoulders Refresh 2 in 1
Reason: Though head and shoulders shampoo is used for dandruff but it makes your hair sticky. It also dries out your scalp.It may clean out dandruff initially 3-4 times but when it is used for a long time it becomes ineffective.
4- Herbal Essences
Reason: This shampoo makes your hairs silky while simultaneously it makes your scalp dry. It also gives a frizzy look to your hair.
5- TRESemme Vitamin B12 and Gelatin Anti-Breakage Shampoo
Reason: This product is used for moisturization of hair but it dries out your hair.
Best Shampoos for Dandruff:
1-Sage Shampoo for Heavy Dandruff
This shampoo is for those with heavy dandruff. It does not make your scalp itchy. It is a combination of natural and pure formula to overcome dermatitis. This shampoo is free of parabens, phthalates, fragrances and sulfates. It is safe for color treated hairs. It stimulates cell renewal.
- Spikenard: It promotes hair growth and restores pigmentation to the hair. It is also effective against dermatitis.
- Rosemary: It stimulates new hair growth and improves circulation. It also clears out dead skin cells.
- Botanical Keratin: Due to lack of keratin hair looks frizzy and damaged. It gives hair a healthy look.
- Jojoba and Argan Oils: It gives hair a nice shine with moisturizing effect
2- Nizoral A-D Anti-dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo controls the main cause of dandruff such as itching, scaling and flaking. It is used twice a week and should be used by children over 12 years of age.Nizoral should be used for eight weeks.
Ketoconazole in a concentration of 2%: Main active ingredient with anti-fungal action. coconut fatty acid diethanolamide, disodium monolauryl ether sulfosuccinate, F.D.&C. Red No. 40, hydrochloric acid, macrogol 120 methyl glucose dioleate, perfume bouquet, sodium chloride, imidurea, laurdimonium hydrolyzed animal collagen, sodium hydroxide, sodium lauryl ether sulfate, and purified water.
3- Selsun Blue – Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Selsun blue is used to treat dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. It is also used to treat itching, flaking, irritation and other scalp infections. It works by slowing the growth of yeast that is responsiblefor the infection. While using it, avoid contact with eyes or mucous membrane.
- Selenium Sulfide 1%: It is an anti-fungal agent used to treat infections of skin caused by yeast. It slows down the overgrowth of cells.
- Menthol: Menthol basically is used for cooling effect. It also has a calming and numbing effect.
- Some other ingredients are magnesium aluminum silicate, fragrance, cocamide DEA, DMDM hydantoin, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, citric acid, sodium citrate, sodium chloride, titanium dioxide, blue 1 (283-138), water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine.
4- Redken Anti-dandruff Shampoo
Redken is rich in glycerin that prevent scalp from drying out. It provides enough moisture to the skin and treatsdandruff. It gives dry flaky scalp and hair a shiny look. It also soothes and hydrates scalp. It can be used daily. It is safe for all skin types. It can also be used with a conditioner without any safety issue. It makes hair silky and soft.
- Water: It is used as liquid vehicle. The other ingredients which are water soluble are suspended in water to make a homogenous mixture.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate: It is used to prevent irritation on skin. It makes rich lather in any hard water.
- Parabens: Methylparaben is mostly used in Redken shampoos. It has been approved by FDA and it is used for fragrance.
- Coconut Compounds:Disodium cocoamphodiacetate, sodium cocoamphopropionate, disodium cocoamphoacetate and disodium cocoamphodipropionate are synthetic forms of coconut oil. They are the fatty acids from coconut oil that act as emulsifiers to remove oil and dirt from the scalp. They also increase lather, and add shine to hair.
5- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
This shampoo is best to treat dandruff. It is also effective in treating acne on scalp. It stops itching and flaking on scalp. It helps in washing away impurities and dirt from hair. It is safe for everyday use and effective for all skin types. It is not effective for severe dandruff and itching.
- Tea Tree Special Shampoo contains natural tea tree oil, peppermint and lavender.
- Tea tree oil and peppermint both cause a tingling sensation when applied to the scalp.
- Lavender is a flower often used to increase calmness or relaxation.
This post was updated on 15.7.2015 by Roy Patton
When I started writting this post I was focused on giving people basic information about worst anti dandruff shampoos out there … I ended up making a short ”what dandruff is” introduction and two lists of the best and the worst anti dandruff shampoos.
I’m hoping the hours I’ve put into this post will help you in some way! Feel free to comment and please share this post with others 🙂